Chicken, Mushroom and Asparagus Pie
Serves: 6 - 8
1 tablespoon olive oil
500g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbls cornflour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup thickened cream
1 tablespoon chopped herbs (Parsley)
1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1cm pieces
250g sliced mushrooms
1 large sheet each of either shortcrust or puff pastry
1. Preheat oven to a moderate 180 C. Lightly grease a deep 23cm pie dish. Heat oil in a frying pan and cook chicken until golden. Remove and set aside.
2. Melt butter in the pan and add garlic, diced onion, mushrooms, herbs and asparagus, fry for 2 minutes
3. Mix 1 tbls of milk with cornflour to make a paste. Remove pan from heat and add cornflour paste, milk and cream, mixing until smooth. Return to heat and stir until thickened.
3. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper.
4. Tip chicken into a baking dish. Top with pastry of choice, pinch edges and trim excess. Brush with milk. Bake 25 min.
Serve with creamy mash and a side of broccoli.